Thursday, October 12, 2006

Everyone's a novelist, and everyone can sing, but no one talks when the tv's on.

I am constantly confronted these days, with the changes that have come to north america in the last 100 years, even in the last 20. I've started listening to CBC for the better part of the day, while processing fibre and spinning. Increased mounted border guard on the Canada/US border. North Korea is testing nuclear weapons. The conservative government is making some of the same promises, and allocations of funds, that the liberal government made. Neither government followed up. The news is increasingly depressing, and this is on the radio. I'm so glad I don't watch television! And yet, these days, most of North America watches hours of television a day. Is it just escapism? Most people I know will mute the news or turn off the tv when it comes on because it's "too depressing". Are we constantly being bombarded in an attempt to create even more of a fear-based culture than we already have? I have to admit that I'll most likely be one of those parents that kicks the child out of the house to go play outside. Jumping in puddles and catching frogs Has to be more fun than watching tv, doesn't it?

While on the note of children, has anyone else noticed the trend towards children with No manners at all? I wonder if we are increasingly afraid to discipline children. I suppose I should write down all of my "child rearing theories". After all, you know how to raise children, until you have them.

On the craft front, I've been inundated with fleeces. I received my International Scarf Exchange scarf (hint : it's lovely). Spinning continues apace. Pictures will follow of things that should (if you have your priorities right) make you drool.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:43:00 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Oh, I totally agree! Kids should play outside after school. Then come in and do homework. And then maybe a half hour of tv, if that.

And yes, no manners! I was over at a friend's house, and she has a 4 year old. He needed a napkin, so I gave him one, and told him, "Ok, that goes in your lap." She said, "oh, we don't make him do that!" that is just an example of the many that are available. I mean really. A 4 year old is old enough to learn those things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home